ARTIST INTERVIEW: JOHN KING


Any country artist who can get away with writing a song titled "Hooker Shoes" 
deserves a little respect and recognition in my book. When I found Black River Publishing artist John King a while back I knew he would be someone I would listen to on a regular basis. 
Sometimes it becomes difficult to find someone who is a bit of "old country" and a bit of  "new country". I think John King is both. He has the deep southern drawl that the country greats like Garth and George have. He has the upbeat, fun party anthem in "Tonight Tonight" like the rest of the new artists have. The mix of both old/new helps make John truly standout as an artist. 
Sit down and listen to his music. What do you hear? A great voice right? Well what about the lyrics? Chances are John King had a hand in writing those too. Nine out of the eleven songs on his album he had a hand in writing. So you can be a fan of his voice, his thick southern drawl, his lyrics, and his fun single all at once. 
Appreciate it all, it's getting more difficult to find these days.  

The best songs are the ones that give you goosebumps in the middle of a hot Southern summer. 
MEET SINGER/SONGWRITER JOHN KING
Full Name:
John Lee King

Age:
25

Hometown/currently live:
Habersham County, GA

When did you start singing?
I started singing in church when I was about 12 years old

What made you want to start singing?
I really didn't want to start singing lol... I was playing in bands in middle school and we would be out in the garage jamming on some Lynyrd Skynrd, Metallica, Allman Brothers, etc. Finally one day my mom walks out and say.. "You know one day one of you boys has to start singing".. So I just figured I would! I kind of did it out of necessity to begin with. Then I started really loving it.

What instruments do you play? Did you teach yourself?
I taught myself how to play drums when I was 11.. then my little bro Andrew (who is my drummer now) got way better than me lol. So I decided I would move to guitar. I started playing pretty seriously when I was 12 or 13 and that was when I started writing songs. 

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?
Steve Earl, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Garth Brooks.. the list goes on and on!

Do you write your own music?
Yes I've been writing since I was a kid. My parents raised me on some of the great singer/songwriters like Jackson Browne, The Eagles, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, etc. I always loved what these guys did lyrically and it inspired me to start writing at an early age. I wrote 9 of the 11 songs on my first record (which is coming out at the end of summer).

Where do you get inspiration to write your songs?
Usually from everyday life situations. I tend to draw ideas from something I hear in passing, a movie, scripture, books I'm readying, etc. It's just always different. 

What is your favorite song you've written?
That's tough to say.. they are all my babies lol! I really love this new song I just wrote and recorded called "Heatwave". It's a cool summertime song but with a different feel than most summertime songs. You gotta hear it!

What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?
Well so far breaking the top 50 on the country charts with our song "Tonight Tonight" has been the most amazing feeling. It's just such an honor to see my name up on the country charts with all these amazingly talented artists. Then to be playing the song live at shows and seeing people singing along.. man it's a great feeling. I'm just praying it keeps climbing and that you guys keep loving the song! 

Favorite person you've opened for/played with?
Really enjoyed opening for Jason Aldean. He is just a class act. He sings great live, has an amazing band and his fans are die hard.. plus he's a fellow GA boy!

Finish this sentence…if I could sing a duet with anyone I would choose______.
Katy Perry.. Love her voice and I just think she has the coolest personality. Please sing with me Katy!! :)

If I could play at any location I would choose ______. 
I've always wanted to play Red Rocks in Colorado. I hear it's just gorgeous out there.

Where do you see yourself in a year?           5 years?
Hopefully as a premiere act on tour!! I'm gonna keep writing and recording the best songs I can possibly make and just pray that the fans keep coming out and supporting the music!

If I wasn't a singer I would be….._______. Why?
Preacher probably!! Ever since I was a kid I thought I might like to give preaching a shot. Who knows I just might do it one day!! 

Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don't know! ​
Well I'm pretty awesome at doing the worm.. I guess that's pretty strange right?? Lol
[DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW JOSH FOR UPDATES AND NEW MUSIC]

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/johnkingcountry
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/johnkingcountry
INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/johnkingcountry
WEBSITE: http://www.johnkingcountry.com

AND HEAD OVER AND PURCHASE HIS NEW SINGLE TONIGHT TONIGHT ON iTUNES:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tonight-tonight-single/id836907271
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK JOHN KING FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WORK WITH ME. I AM SO EXCITED THAT I WAS ABLE TO SHARE HIS MUSIC AND A BIT OF HIS BACKGROUND INFORMATION WITH ALL MY BLOG READERS. REMEMBER TO BE A FAN OF OLD COUNTRY, OF NEW COUNTRY, AND OF THE GUYS  WHO ARE A LITTLE BIT OF BOTH. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS GUY SUCCEED!