ARTIST INTERVIEW: Josh Osborne

 I am BEYOND excited to introduce this week's New Music Monday interview! If you've heard Kenny Chesney sing Come Over, Billy Currington sing We Are Tonight, Eli Young Band sing Drunk Last Night, and Blake Shelton rock his new song My Eyes on the ACM Awards then you have heard the work of this guy. 
His name? JOSH OSBORNE. 
Josh is currently a writer for Black River Publishing in Nashville and has written/co-written songs for some of country music's elite
Now, let's get to know Josh a little better! 
-Full Name-
Josh Osborne
  
-Age-
33

-Hometown/currently live-
Hometown: Virgie, KY  Currently live: Nashville, TN

-What made you want to start writing songs?-
I've loved music since I was 2 years old.  Always humming along and wanting to sing.  When I was 13 my dad told me if I loved music so much I should try to write my own songs and he introduced me to The Beatles music saying they were the greatest and they wrote their own music.  When I heard the song "Norwegian Wood" I instantly knew I wanted to write songs.  I loved how the words and melody blended seamlessly together.  I've been hooked ever since

-Do you play any instruments? Did you teach yourself?-
I play several instruments: guitar, piano, drums, brass horns. I primarily write on the guitar.  I took music lessons as a kid from a man named Will Freebody and learned to read music and play the guitar.   

-Who are your biggest musical inspirations-
My three biggest influences on my writing are The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen and Merle Haggard (I know these aren't original but I don't care, to me they're the best)

-Where do you get inspiration to write your songs?-
Most of my inspiration comes from everyday life. Things people say or stories that people relay to me.  Also I'm very inspired by words.  Sometimes a word just makes me want to write a song about it. 

-I know all the songs you have written/co-written but would you be willing to share some of these songs with my readers?-
Absolutely!
- Come Over by Kenny Chesney
- Merry Go 'Round by Kacey Musgraves
- Drunk Last Night by The Eli Young Band
- Chainsaw by The Band Perry
- We Are Tonight by Billy Currington
- My Eyes by Blake Shelton
- Dust by The Eli Young Band
- Wake Up Lovin' You by Craig Morgan

I have been very blessed and have had other songs recorded but these are probably the ones of mine that are best known.

-What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?-
After winning the Grammy for Best Country Song in 2014 there was an awesome moment backstage after we accepted the award and gave our speeches.  We got a quick picture of Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves and I with a Grammy.  Then they had to whisk Kacey away to the Staples Center to get ready for her Grammy performance.  As she left it was just Shane and I standing there and we just grabbed each other and hugged and then started jumping up and down like a couple of kids.  I don't think I'll ever forget that feeling

-Finish this sentence…if I could write a song for or with anyone I would choose______.-
Part of me would love to write a song with Paul McCartney but another part of me wants there to always be a mystery to me about how he does it.  Within the realm of our business I would love to write a song with Shane McAnally and Brandy Clark that George Strait records.  I know how much that would mean to all of us.  Taking songwriting out of it George Strait is one of my all time favorite artists and has recorded so many songs that have had an impact on my life

-So you recently won a grammy! How did you find out you were nominated?-
I actually found out the night of the televised Grammy Nomination concert before Christmas last year.  I write at Black River Entertainment and we were having our company Christmas party the night the nominations were announced so it was awesome to find out that same evening

-What was your reaction to winning?-
It was very surreal.  As they were even announcing the nominees in the category my heart was pounding so loud in my ears that I could barely hear them.  To hear our song called out was truly an indescribable moment of joy and shock

-How did you celebrate?-
We attended the Post Grammy party and also went to the Universal Grammy after party to celebrate with Kacey.  It was an amazing night that none of us wanted to end

-Where do you see yourself in a year?-
   Hopefully writing songs I love         
-5 years?-
 Hopefully writing songs I love in a bigger house

-If I wasn't a songriter I would be ___.-
Probably a Lawyer or a Veterinarian

-Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don't know! ​-
I was actually an All-State Trumpet player when I was in high school, and at a certain point I had to decide between guitar or trumpet.  It was never really a choice at all ;-)
TO FIND OUT MORE:
Facebook
Twitter
Black River Publishing

Thank you Josh for your time and for this interview!