ARTIST INTERVIEW: TJ HAMILTON


The greatest things in life are unexpected and completely different than anything else you could ever imagine. This can apply to life and this can apply to music. It’s one thing to fall into the same category as your peers. It’s something totally different to be in a category entirely on your own. In my opinion, the greatest artists are the ones who stand out. The ones who have their own sound. The ones who aren’t afraid to be different.
The first time I heard TJ Hamilton I knew he was one of those artists.
He has dreams bigger than anyone I've ever met. And something tells me he won’t slow down until he exceeds all expectations and meets all of those goals one by one.

I AM SUPER EXCITED TO INTRODUCE THE MOST GENUINE AND DOWN-TO-EARTH GUY I'VE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO MEET THUS FAR.
Age
27

Hometown/Currently Live
Mounds, Oklahoma. Population 850.
“I’m currently in Dallas. I lived in Nashville all last year writing and now I’m working with a new producer here in Dallas; world renowned producer Jay Oliver. He’s one of the biggest producers in the rap game in the entire world.”

What made you start singing?
“I was singing in church as a kid and my mom really wanted me to do it. I grew up an Elvis Presley fan. Elvis is my favorite musician of all time. You know how some people express themselves through writing and athletics? Well mine was through sports. And as a kid music was my release from life. I think everybody needs something in their life that allows them to be creative. Music was my way, and my escape, to be creative. You can explain yourself a whole lot better with a pen and paper rather than going around and trying to tell everyone your story.”

Do you play any instruments? Did you teach yourself?
“Acoustic Guitar; I actually didn't teach myself. I was taught by an old friend of mine named Scott Bell. This guy, in my opinion, is the best guitar player in the entire state of Oklahoma. He taught me some chords and taught me how to do it. Now I’m able to strum around when we write and when we play live.”

Who is your biggest musical inspiration?
“Elvis Presley is my biggest musical inspiration by far. There will never be another Elvis. I feel like he set the bar. He’s the reason I’m involved in music. He was so influential not only on the positive side but also on the negative side with people. Most people didn't know how to react to him when he first came out on the radio. And I feel like that’s kind of how some people in the country music industry look at me. They listen and think ‘oh he’s using a beat. He’s changing the game up.’ When I let Sam [Hunt] hear it for the first time he thought it was awesome. He uses a beat with everything.”

If I could sing a duet with anyone it would be….
“Celine Dion”

If I could write a song with anyone it would be…
“My boy Sam Hunt, for sure. I loved getting to sit down and write with him. Me and Sam met on the basketball court in Nashville. We go way back and I consider him a good friend. I’d love to write with him some more.”

SIDENOTE: THIS IS WHERE I SAID TJ AND SAM NEED TO RECORD AN ALBUM TOGETHER. I WOULD BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO BUY IT!
“That needs to happen. It needs to be put out there. I agree with you. It needs to happen.”

Favorite career moment so far?
“I played on ABC Dallas, the TV station, in front of 5.1 million people. I played a 45 minute set live and it was just over 5 million people. It was actually only like my second or third time to play live, ever. Either that or maybe the first time I ever played live. You are so nervous and so scared. And seeing my parents out there watching was just really, really cool. It was just a small whole-in-the-wall place in the middle of Tulsa, Oklahoma. But it was great. The start of something really great.

Where do you see yourself a year from now?
“With a record deal. Hopefully pushing my second or third single to country radio.”

5 years from now?
“I plan on having 3 platinum records under my belt and making a significant difference in the world. Whether that be helping people out in any way possible or just creating music that helps people. I didn't do this music thing for fame or fortune. I did it because I love it and I wanted to create music that people like. It just so happens that you can make money doing that. If you really put your heart into something it’s amazing what can come out of it.”

I love that you have a plan! No one ever knows how to answer that question and you completely blew me away with your answer.
“Well I appreciate that! My notes on my iPhone are crazy. I have it written down to the date where I want to see myself. I've got a plan and I just think the biggest part of my plan is seeing all these successful people not doing anything to help anyone else out. All they want to do is commit another selfish act that brings more light to them. I just feel like the world would be a much better place if there were more influential people that did something to better themselves.”

I’m afraid of….
“Sharks and alligators.”

Never get tired of….
“My mom's home cooking.”

What’s one random fact about you that maybe no one else knows?
“I am huge sneaker guy. I have over 700 pairs. I've got all kinds of shoes: Jordan’s, Nikes, cowboy boots, you name it.”

Do you ever wear the same pair twice?
“You know, I rarely ever do. I've got like one pair I wear all the time. Just a pair of Nikes. I've got probably 100 pairs of Converse. I wear them every time I play live.

So that seems to be another thing you have in common with Sam Hunt, huh?
"Oh yeah. We for sure have that in common. We used to see each other at Urban Outfitters cause we were always rocking the same things. We for sure have a shoe fetish I guess. We also both played college football. There’s a lot of similarities between us that are pretty eerie. Our music sounds similar; the way we write is similar. I mean we aren't gonna talk about doing drugs or getting people pregnant. It’s got to be more of a good fun-loving song.”

At the end of my questions I always ask if there is anything anyone would like to add to the interview. Up until TJ, everyone had always said no. What he said pretty much sums up this interview and shows everyone the person he is.
“My biggest inspiration to do music comes from my faith and my family. Those two things are everything to me. Without those two things I would probably be in a ditch somewhere. My family, my mother, father, brother, sister, grandparents, you name it. They've all been behind me 100 percent. Them believing in me has made this process so much easier.”
FOLLOW TJ HAMILTON FOR UPDATES

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK TJ FOR TAKING TIME OUT OF HIS SCHEDULE TO WORK WITH ME. I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT HE ALLOWED ME THIS OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW HIM AS NOT ONLY A FAN BUT AS A FRIEND. I'VE FOUND MYSELF SEARCHING FOR A MALE ARTIST TO PROMOTE IN DEPTH FOR A WHILE NOW. I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH A HUGE HEART, A GOOD ATTITUDE, AND A DESIRE TO CREATE GOOD MUSIC IN ORDER TO BENEFIT OTHERS. TJ IS THE GUY I'VE BEEN WAITING ON.
STICK AROUND, TJ WILL ALWAYS BE A PART OF THE TENNESSEE LIFE.
EXPECT BACKSTAGE DETAILS WHEN THIS GUY MAKES HIS OPRY DEBUT AND SELLS OUT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. 
I’M OFFICIALLY A FAN FOR LIFE.