ARTIST INTERVIEW: LOGAN BRILL

So a few weeks ago at the Tennessee Theatre a super talented singer/songwriter who grew up near my hometown in Knoxville, TN opened for country superstar Josh Turner. Her name? Logan Brill. After going home and finding her music on Soundcloud I knew I had to reach out to her for an interview. I was lucky enough to do a phone interview with her a few days after the big show! 

EVERYONE MEET MY NEW FRIEND AND FELLOW EAST TENNESSEAN
LOGAN BRILL
Full Name
Katherine Logan Brill

Age
23

Hometown/currently live
Grew up in Knoxville; Moved to Nashville a little over 5 years ago. 

Do you play any instruments? Did you teach yourself?
Guitar; "I guess I taught myself but guided by my dad who played guitar as a hobby.  He had a farm out in Morgan County, Tennessee which is pretty mush in the middle of nowhere. When I would go out there on weekends there was no TV, no neighbors, or anything. I kinda just picked it up. I just really enjoyed going on weekends and sitting on the front porch and pick around at it. My dad started teaching me little chords. He kind of guided me, I guess, as far as learning more actual chords and stuff." 

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?
"This is a hard one for me. I feel like they are all over the board. I grew up listening to a lot of jazz and blues stuff (Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Buddy Guy). I was also inspired by a lot of the music that my parents grew up listening to in the 70's. I loved The Eagles and Emmylou Harris. It was more on the country side of things. Now it kind of changes every week really. I feel like recently it's been Patty Griffin and Bonnie Raitt pretty consistently." 

Where do you get inspiration to write your songs?
"Yes, I do write. A lot of the stuff on the album I borrowed from other songwriters. Whenever I'm in town I write a couple times per week either by myself or with other songwriters in Nashville. I enjoy it."

What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?
"I feel like there's been a lot of really awesome moments. Honestly one of them for me was this past show at the Tennessee Theatre with Josh Turner. It was great to play in my hometown. Some of my personal favorite shows I've been to were at the Tennessee Theatre. Being able to go out and stand on that same stage my songs to friends and family that I haven't seen in a long time. People were coming out of the woodworks! I saw my preschool teacher, my fourth grade teacher, old friends from high school, friends, and family. It was just cool to come back." 

Finish this sentence…if I could sing a duet with anyone I would choose______. 
"Probably Bonnie Raitt She's been such an inspiration to me. Especially with her blues influence but also does the Americana Country stuff from time to time."

Finish this sentence…if I could sing at any location I would choose______. 
"Honestly probably Red Rocks. Or the Ryman. That's like the top in Nashville. It's a tie for me. I would really like to play both. Red Rocks has such a reputation for being such a cool venue. I feel like there and the Ryman are tied for me."

Where do you see yourself in a year or five years?
"Continuing to move forward with my career. And just continuing to play more headlining shows. It's nice to have a full hour and half to play my own stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to be touring more and continuing to move onward and upward!"

If I wasn't a singer I would be 
"Well there are a few things I always put in the back of my mind as a plan B. I actually got my degree in French from Belmont. Because I thought if nothing else I could be a teach it or be a translator. I probably would do that. Maybe a French teacher. I love kids. Who knows!"


Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don't know! 
"I'm a vegetarian, is that weird? I don't eat meat. I've actually been a vegetarian since I was 12. So that's a fun fact. Not that it's fun, but it's a fact!"
HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE LOGAN BRILL SONGS:
FOLLOW LOGAN FOR MUSIC/SHOW UPDATES:
SPECIAL THANKS TO LOGAN BRILL FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT OF HER BUSY SCHEDULE TO WORK WITH ME ON THIS INTERVIEW  I ABSOLUTELY LOVED GETTING TO TALK TO HER AND GETTING TO KNOW HER BETTER. IF YOU LOVE HER MUSIC THEN STAY TUNED TO MY WEBSITE! SHE WILL BE FEATURED A FEW MORE TIMES IN THE MONTHS TO COME! CANNOT WAIT FOR HER TO BE BACK IN KNOXVILLE FOR HER SHOW IN OCTOBER! 
[PICTURES PROVIDED BY CASSANDRA LEETE  & TAYLOR SMITH]