ARTIST INTERVIEW : JASON DUKE

There is no secret that I love singers and songwriters. It’s also no secret that I’m pretty much obsessed with people who are both. I found Jason Duke’s music a while back after seeing his name as a co-writer on a ton of my favorite Josh and Kelsea songs. Well he quickly has been added to my list of favorite artists. At first I was completely in awe of his songwriting skills. I noticed that all my favorite songs had him as a writer. Dibs, When I Think About You, I Hope It Goes Like That, etc. The list was huge. Well after realizing he also sang I knew he would be on my playlists forever. Now here we are a few months later and every new song is still blowing me away.

Without further introduction, meet the talented
JASON DUKE

Full Name
Jason Allen Duke

Age
36

Hometown/currently live
I grew up in Hendersonville, Tennessee. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I almost left once...

What made you want to start writing songs?
The Garth Brooks “Double Live” album. There is a track on there that just inspired me to want to write. If you listen to “Unanswered Prayers” on that album and just close your eyes after the first chord, Garth  sings the first line. He hardly finishes the line, when the whole crowd starts to sing. The crowd takes over and sings pretty much all of the rest of the words for the whole song. The first time I heard that was the first moment I realized how powerful a song was! That was the moment I knew I wanted to write songs! 

Do you play any instruments? Did you teach yourself?
I play guitar and a little piano. I pretty much taught myself, and picked up things from people around me who are way better than me!

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?
Not sure where to stop this list. James Taylor, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Eminem, Garth Brooks, Maroon 5, John Mayer, Marc Broussard...

Where do you get inspiration to write your songs?
Mainly from real life. Almost anything I write or am part of writing has some element of something I have personally experienced, some feeling I’ve had, or some person I have had in my life (good or bad). A lot of times on draw on feelings or experiences with my wife and my son.

Favorite songs you have written/co-written?
Jeez, another list that I’m not sure where it ends...here goes! 
Move On (with Ryan Griffin and Forest Glen Whitehead), 
Mountains (with Chris Yurchuck), 
First Dance (just me!), Levi’s (with Ryan Griffin and Jason Massey), 
Ain’t Finished Loving You Yet (with Josh Kerr and Chris Yurchuck), 
I’ll Keep On Loving You (with Lance Carpenter), 
Dibs (with Josh Kerr, Ryan Griffin, and Kelsea Ballerini), 
Nowhere Fast (with Jason Massey), 
The Ones (with Nick Sturms), 
Are You In? (with Dave Rivers and Chris Yurchuck), 
When I Think About You (with Josh Kerr and Kelsea Ballerini), 
Almost Forgot About That (with Ryan Griffin and Jason Massey),
Call It (with Ryan Griffin and Forest Glen Whitehead), 
Neon Eyes (with Josh Kerr and Liz Hengber), 
I Hope It Goes Like That (with Josh Kerr),
What Our Love Can Do (just me!) whew!

What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?
The day we wrote “Move On”. That was the real first time that I KNEW we had nailed one. I had felt good about a lot of songs, but writing “Move On” with Ryan and Forest was just perfectly simple and great. I will be able to pinpoint that song as the one where I started getting exponentially better every day. 

Finish this sentence…if I could write a song for or with anyone I would choose______. 
I’d love to write with Michael Peterson. I’d also love to write with Drew Womack.

Where do you see yourself in a year?
celebrating a #1 with any of the above mentioned cowriters!         

5 years?
On a house on a lake somewhere.

If I wasn't a songwriter I would be... 
I would probably own a bar. 

Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don't know! 
I am a cancer survivor.
Ice cream and Double Stuffed Oreos will be the death of me.
I hate negativity. (was that negative?) 
I met my wife when I was supposed to be in Hawaii, but wasn’t.
HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE JASON DUKE JAMS:
Special thanks to Jason Duke for working with me on this interview. Cannot wait for more new music and to see his future continue to be bright. Look for some of his songs on my monthly playlists!