ARTIST INTERVIEW: JOSH DORR

It's no secret that I've seen a lot of people perform. It's no secret that I've heard a lot of country music in my time. It's no secret that I've interviewed and worked with quite a few new country singers. Believe me when I say this guy has been my favorite to work with. As I read through his interview answers I realized he is the most relatable, down-to-earth, and career driven person I've worked with. 

Josh has a sound that I cannot compare to anyone else. He is country, VERY country. His tone makes his songs seem like stories. I don't know about y'all but when I listen to music I like to paint a picture in my head of what I think they are singing about. With Josh's amazing lyrics and his southern and soulful voice I can picture myself in his songs. 

{MEET JOSH DORR}
-Background Info?-
Hey my names Joshua Wade Dorr or "Josh Dorr" on stage. I'm 25. I was born and raised in Gillette, Wyoming and have been living in Nashville since 2010. 

-When Did You Start Singing?-
I mean besides in the car and shower and never sang. I was too shy to sing if I knew people were paying attention to me. I used to cry as a child when people would sing happy birthday to me...haha I don't know why I just didn't like being on the spot. Really I didn't start singing till college, once or twice I got enough liquid courage in me and sang for a friend or two and that was about it. But once I moved to Nashville and started writing songs in 2011 is when I really wanted to sing. 

-Do You Play Any Instruments?-
I play the guitar, I play, by no means am I a Nashville star dates guitar player though. I just know enough chords to write a song on the thing.

-Biggest Influences?-
Tom Petty
Garth brooks 
Dwight yoakam
Brooks and Dunn
Sean McConnell
Bryan Adams 
Ryan Adams just to name a few

-Do You Write Your Own Music?-
Yes I write all my own music. The only one I have recorded that I did not was all or nothing on my EP. But that song is incredible and I couldn't pass it up.

-Where Do You Get Inspiration To Write?-
My inspiration just comes from every day life. I'm only 25 but I feel like have gone through the ups and downs of someone twice my age sometimes...and whether it's my life or my friends or family's it's all inspiration.

-Favorite Career Moment?-
My favorite music career moment was, definitely getting my record deal with Sony RCA, but now as of I just got my name in a small write up in Rolling Stone! And it was a very big moment for me.
{Read the Rolling Stone Post HERE}

-Favorite Person To Play With/For?-
Favorite opening slot was for with my Sony friends in Key West Florida Love and Theft and Sara Evans. I played barefoot in front of like 10k ppl :)

-If I Could Duet With Anyone….-
If I could duet with anyone it would be Alison Krauss at the Ryman or Red rocks.

-Where Do You See Yourself In A Year?-
In one year i hope to have a single out and traveling the country sharing my music with everyone I can.

-5 Years?-
In 5 I hope i am still getting to do what I do and making the best music I possibly can. Maybe hop on a major tour, maybe tour overseas, and for the troops. Definitely for the troops.

-If I Wasn't A Singer I Would...-
If I wasn't a singer...I would want to be on a boat fishing haha I'm not too good at anything else. My favorite job I've ever had was mowing lawns...so maybe id be a modern day Forrest Gump and now lawn for the rest of my days ?

-What's One Thing People Don't Know About You?-
The one strange thing not many people know about me is.... I cannot stand the way cotton balls feel. I'm fine with mud blood guts you name it...just can't stand cotton balls...haha gives me the heeby jeebys.

{AND PURCHASE HIS EP ON ITUNES}
This is an EP that I am currently listening to on repeat. I absolutely love these songs and the stories that they tell.
Preview Josh Dorr -EP right now!

  

C O N N E C T
{Special thanks to Josh Dorr for taking time out of his busy schedule to work with me. There is no doubt in my mind that his future is very bright. I cannot wait to see him at CMA Fest this week and continue to follow his career. Hopefully this won't be the last y'all see of Josh Dorr on The Tennessee Life!}