ARTIST INTERVIEW: RYAN KINDER

Some artists have a sound that is "typical country" while others have voices that "remind me of someone." What's my favorite type of artist? One that has a sound entirely of their own. I love hearing someone with a unique voice more than anything else. 
Ryan Kinder is one of these artists.  
There is nothing like hearing a song that you truly have never heard ANYTHING like before. Ryan has the ability to transform his voice into something that is extremely fresh and new within the category of country music. 

His voice will draw you before you even realize it...


Full Name
Ryan Kinder

Age
25

Hometown/Currently Live
I was born in Knoxville, TN, raised in Birmingham, AL and currently live in Nashville, TN. 

When did you start singing?
My mother tells me when I was very young. I'd sing along to the Disney version of Robin Hood. The moment I began taking it seriously was at about 16 years old. 

What made you want to start singing?
It was the most natural thing I'd ever done. I enjoyed it so much I never wanted to stop. 

What instruments do you play? Did you teach yourself?
 I play guitar, piano, mandolin and a little kazoo. Working that last one into my live set. Tough one to master though. I've been scouring YouTube for some tutorials. 

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?
 The first song I can remember my mother playing on the radio when I was a child was 'Change The World' by Eric Clapton. That moment really snapped my attention to music. I remember hearing 'My Stupid Mouth' by John Mayer and everything really clicking. So Mayer and Clapton lead me to SRV and Jimi. Then to Jackson Browne and James Taylor. On to Al Green and Marvin Gaye. I also love Marc Broussard, Matchbox 20, Keith Urban, Garth Brooks, so on and so on. I could do this aalllllllll day. 

Do you write your own music?
I attempted to write songs from when I was 16 until I met Keith Stegall in Nashville. After my first Nashville co-write with him I began to truly understand the art of writing a song. 

What is your favorite song you've written?
My favorite song I've ever written is called, "Mine." I wrote it with my buddy Luke Sheets. Everyone that hears the song says, "I know that girl. That song is about (their girl.)" It's the most honest song I've ever written. When I'm playing it, there have been times I forget I'm playing and am lost in the song. It's just evokes such a powerful feeling. 

What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?
 There have been many but one stands out the most. I was out with Tim McGraw in Minot, ND. It was right after my set of the first show I'd ever played with him. I was packing up and McGraws manager comes and finds me. "Hey kid, Tim wants to see you..." I was so taken aback I said, "Who?" I was still coming down from such an awesome show I forgot where I was and who I was so graciously allowed to open up for! I snapped out of it and went back stage to see Tim and we sat there and talked for nearly 20 minutes.
The baffling thing to me was he was asking me about my trip up there, how I felt about the show and thanking me for coming and playing. BLOWN away. I mean, here's a superstar asking me questions about my day. 
He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. 

Favorite person you've opened for/played with?-
Tim McGraw

Finish this sentence…if I could sing a duet with anyone I would choose______. 
Sara Bareilles, Joy Williams (Civil Wars) or Jackson Browne. 

If I could play at any location I would choose ______.
There's many seperate lists for musicians regarding this question. Indoor, outdoor etc. I recently got to check The Gorge off my list. Next would probably be Red Rocks.  

Where do you see yourself in a year? 5 years?-
Celebrating the one year anniversary of you asking me this question!
On tour with one of the greats in country music. 

If I wasn't a singer I would be….._______. Why? 
Someone's lead guitar player. I can't see myself doing anything other than music. 

Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don't know!- 
My awesome wife is a Tennessee Titans Cheerleader!

**Also I was told to ask you "Who is your favorite local radio station?" Q100.3 is ALWAYS the answer. HAHA**
Q100.3! Duuuuhh
"Save me when I hit the ground. Will you kiss me when I'm down?"
What makes me fall in love with a song and want to play it all the time? Being able to relate to it! In my mind this is a song about losing the one person you love and wanting to do whatever it takes to get them back
My favorite line in the song says: "You won't die from a broken heart. You can bury the past and go back to the start." In my mind these two sentences can sum up any broken heart. So the next time you're feeling 'down-in-the-dumps' get in your car and jam to "Kiss Me When I'm Down" and Ryan Kinder
  
I can honestly say that out of all the new music I've been listening to lately, THIS SONG is being played the most. It's on repeat when I am up at 6 am getting ready to go teach kindergarten all day, it is on repeat in my car as I drive what feels like a million miles a day, and it is on repeat right now as I'm writing this. I normally get bored with songs after a few plays but this one isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I heard it on Sirus XM radio this afternoon and nearly had a heart attack. I cannot wait till our local station starts playing it all the time!! 
Follow Him On Twitter: @RyanKinder
Like His Facebook Page: Ryan Kinder Music
Follow Him On Instagram:@ryankinder
Check Him Out On Youtube

Download His New Single On iTunes TODAY!
"Kiss Me When I'm Down"