Music For The Soul...

It's Music Time Y'all! 
For those of you who know me very well you know that my love of music is a huge part of my life. I've always adored music in general but I can honestly say my obsession for country music continues to grow out of control.

"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music."

 
     I bet when you read that I liked country music the typical thoughts and artists came to mind: Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Reba….trust me, I could go on for days. While I do love these artists I have found myself reaching in the archives a bit and truly researching some older artists.

Let me just say that my love for Keith Whitley, George Jones, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Hank Williams, and Willie Nelson has never been stronger. There us nothing quite like the classics. 
I will never get tired of these hits.
1. Tennessee Whiskey by George Jones or by David Allan Coe
2.Choices by George Jones
3.Walk the Line by Johnny Cash
4. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Hank Williams Sr.
 
So I understand that I am young and just about to turn 22, but I am starting to feel OLD

Everyone remembers that time when you hear "decade talk" and you just think "Oh my word! Life was so different back then. That was FOREVER AGO!" 

Well children of the 90's…I hate to break it to you but we have finally reached that point in our lives. Don't believe me? Do a quick search on Pandora, Youtube, etc. for 90's country and see how many thinks pop up.

Wait for it….wait for it….if you stopped to look for yourself then you are beginning to realize that "our time" of music was truly some of the best country in history. 

Let me take you on a memory walk real quick…

1. "My first taste of love, oh bittersweet. The green on the vine, like strawberry wine."
-Strawberry Wine by Deana Carter
2. "I'm carrying your love with me. West Virginia down to Tennessee."
-Carrying Your Love With Me by George Strait
3. "Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
- The Dance by Garth Brooks
4. "And even if they have to run away she's gonna marry that boy some day."
-She's In Love With The Boy by Trisha Yearwood
5. "If you drink don't drive do the watermelon crawl."
-Watermelon Crawl by Tracy Byrd 
6. "That's my girl, my whole world, but that ain't my truck."
-That Ain't My Truck by Rhett Atkins
So now that we’ve gone through the older years and now the “Classics of the 90’s” (ahh we are getting old.), it is time to hit my FAVORITE music.


It is kinda a new hobby of mine to predict future stars. I know it is impossible and sounds stupid (because it is) but it’s true. There is something about falling in love with an artists music BEFORE they sell our arenas, win grammys, and get the label of a “SUPERSTAR.”

This year I have been to a bunch of shows with some, in my opinion, soon to be SUPERSTARS. It’s weird because the small venues, the bar spots, the festivals, and carnivals ALWAYS seem to be the best shows to attend. It’s one thing to spend $500 for tickets to sit SUPER FAR AWAY from the artist performing in the back of some big arena. This makes a small $5 cover to get into some down home honkytonk where you are sitting at a table inches from the performer even better. (This is what I love about Nashville…well that and a million other things.)

So now let me share with y’all some of my favorites.
So here they are: THE NEWBIES, UP-AND-Comers, and RISING STARS!
 
I’m such a sucker for Florida Georgia Line, Scotty McCreery, Brett Eldredge, and Thomas Rhett. It makes me so happy they are finally catching their big break and getting the attention they finally deserve.

Thomas Rhett       
   I’ve adored Thomas Rhett’s music for a long time. Ever since I saw him perform a few years ago with his dad I knew he would truly be something amazing. His cd is amazing and I play "Get Me Some Of That" on repeat daily. I will be seeing him at Cotton Eye Joe in a few short months. SO EXCITED!
Florida Georgia Line
      FGA is a group who has changed country music in so many ways and I’m happy to say that I was a fan way before they had everybody CRUISING! Their music continues to get better and I love when BK gets heard a little more. With that being said I recommend listening to “People Back Home.” SO GOOD! Plus I'm actually obsessed with BK and his wife which makes me kinda obsessed with them even more. 
Brett Eldredge
      Oh Brett…I stand by my theory and opinion that he had the best album of the year. NO DOUBT every song on his cd could be a hit. I personally am obsessed with “One Mississippi” and “Waited Too Long.”  I mean how could you not fall in love with that soulful tone he has? It’s something that’s super rare to hear and I love it!
 
Scotty McCreery
 I am beyond obsessed with Scotty and his music. I have loved his deep voice since the day I saw his audition on American Idol. I was there from the start and I guarantee I will be a forever fan. His new cd is definitely a different Scotty. His songs are much more mature but that same deep soulful tone is still as wonderful as ever. I was lucky enough to meet him in October and stand inches from him at a big show. He is even better live…trust me. I would travel anywhere to see him.

NOW….HERE IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY GOOD! The REAL superstars in the making.
*The top of the list should be a given to everyone who knows me:*

Dylan Scott
    It doesn’t take a genius to know the way I feel about this artist. It takes one look at my Twitter feed to see all the lyrics I tweet on a daily basis. I cannot get enough of his voice and personality. 
I didn’t realize until now but I’ve been lucky enough to see him 5 times. I’ve seen him everywhere from Knoxville and Nashville all the way to Birmingham. Once time I saw him twice…in one week…..on a spur of the moment road trip. It was and still is one of the best trips I’ve taken. It was so worth the long drive to Alabama to see him. I will say that my first trip to Nashville to see a show was my favorite. Maybe it was the environment but I doubt it. I’ve always LOVED Whiskey Bent. I however think it was just the idea of FINALLY seeing someone I found off of YouTube sing live…and trust me, I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF THAT FIRST SHOW. And let me be honest, I’ve never seen him play a bad show.


 However, it’s not ALL Dylan. The band really makes everything come together. And it doesn’t hurt that they are all SUPER talented on their own. 

Y’all check out Josh Kerr on Twitter an YouTube also. He is a super talented singer, songwriter, and guitar player for Dylan. His cover of Riser is one of my favorites!




-Add everything together and you get a great band full of really talented musicians, a guy who is DESTINED to be a superstar, and a night and concert you will never forget!-

Go Dylan out here on Twitter and YouTube. You won’t regret it.

And don’t forget to get Dylan’s single “Making This Boy Go Crazy” on iTunes.








https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/makin-this-boy-go-crazy-single/id595566998







Oh and don't forget the video for this single….Ladies, y’all can thank me later. 

Cannot wait to travel to Louisiana in June to see Dylan and the crew at the Peach Festival. But trust me y’all, I will see them before then too! 
It’s worth any drive. J
 
Cole Swindell
    This guy is someone I cannot wait tot see in just 9 days! I can honestly tell y’all that I am looking forward to seeing him live more than Luke Bryan. Sorry, but I am! He has a great personality and is super active on stage which I really enjoy. I love “Lemme See Ya Girl” and can’t wait for this new CD to come out.
 
Kasey Musgraves
     So to let y’all know how much I love Kasey Musgraves I’ll start with a picture.
 Yes...I got a tattoo of an arrow in October after hearing the song “Follow Your Arrow” a few months ago. This song hit home and I like that I have this tattoo to remind me of the meaning on a daily basis. To me it just lets me know that while I don’t know what the Lord has planned for me, but He does know. He will guide me through all obstacles and help me overcome them. I should always follow His leadership and go wherever life take me. 
Aka…follow my arrow wherever it points.
 
Laurel Wright
Okay so maybe I am a little biased because she is my friend but I ADORE this lovely lady. She adds such a freshness to country music. With her beauty, personality, southern charm, and who can forget her killer voice, she draws people in and they immediately become fans. I love that she comes from our small town but has dreams bigger and brighter than Nashville. Some people are singers and some people are singers who truly dream of making it as far as they can with the talent they have been given. With this being said I have to share a quick story. I was at dinner with Laurel the other night and she said “If I can’t sing, I don’t know what I would do.” She wants this way more than anyone I’ve ever met. I love that she doesn’t have “a back-up plan.” She KNOWS this is what God planned for her and she will let no obstacle get in her way. Y’all go check her out and I promise you won’t regret it one bit. I guarantee you fall in love with her voice before you even realize what’s happening. I cannot wait to see where her amazing voice, talent, and charm take her in life. Wherever she ends up she WILL BE successful.



Oh and y’all be sure to watch American Idol when it starts on January 14th. You never know WHO you might see.

Purchase my favorite Laurel song on cdbaby here
Hope you all enjoyed hearing my favorites and I truly hope this makes every one of you check out these artists. They are super talented and they all have even brighter futures ahead of them!