VENUE INTERVIEW: THE GIN


A little about the man behind The Gin:
My name is J.D. Groover. I’m 28 and I’m from a little town called Kingsland, GA that resides in Camden County, GA. I went to school at Valdosta State University. Worked at the famous Flip Flops! That’s where i learned the business and my love of music grew. A typical day for me is always different. Different days bring up different things. I do more than unlock a door though!!
T H E    G I N
Location:
Tifton || Georgia
When did your venue open and how did it come to happen?
I opened The Gin in March of 2010. It was my first business venture on its own. I noticed while living in Valdosta, Ga that a lot of people from Tifton, Ga would drive 45 minutes down to party. I knew there was a college there called ABAC and it always amused me they would drive. The thought hit that they must not have anywhere to go or anything to do. I took a scouting trip up here and that was very evident that it was a sleepy little town. I knew if 100 people were driving every weekend 45 mins to party that there were way more who didn’t want to drive, so I came to them!
Describe your venue/bar in three words.
We have a saying “ The Gin always Wins” so “It always wins” This place can take down professional drinkers. Ask Cole Taylor. hahaha
You have been labeled the number one nightlife establishment in South Georgia. What sets your venue apart from others?
I think it’s a couple of things. We have grown as the town has grown. Some people come in drop a lot of money and flop in the bar business. We catered and grew. I always say Tifton and I grew together. Haha. In this part of the state no one offers the entertainment or can throw a party consistently like we do. We take pride in our service to our customers. Also, ask anyone who has played my venue we take care of them. My job is to not only keeping customers happy but also staff and entertainers. You keep the entertainers happy they wanna come back again and again and give it their all!
Big names in country music like Florida Georgia Line, Sam Hunt, Chase Rice, and Cole Swindell have graced the stages of The Gin. How did you build relationships with them and attract them to Tifton?
This is one of the questions i get all the time! Our track record is unbelievable and
i work hard at it. I do listen to some mainstream people but i try to stay ahead of the curve. We took a chance on FGL. Paid them 700 dollars and then two weeks later Cruise is on the radio. The following Friday, Parmalee. Then it seemed like everyone on XM radio thought we were a good luck charm. I work hard. I study hard and sometimes i get lucky. Now with Cole, me and him go back for years so that was an easy one. He actually played my place a couple time’s acoustic just to get out of Nashville before he was big. I wish i could list all the people, but it would take forever!
What moment in the time you’ve been open has been your favorite?
It’s really hard to choose. For a while, I would have told you that it was the 2 year anniversary party. There was a guy in the bar that told me when we first got open that we have a cool place but it wouldn’t last 3 months and I kinda got drunk on the mic and told that story and popped a bottle of champagne. But now its when artist from XM come and already know me and know the gin and tell me they wanted to play here for awhile and they respect my reputation in Nashville. Gives me Chills.
Busiest night/largest crowd?
Hands Down Feb 15th 2014. Sam Hunt. A lot went to pushing that show. He was still a “nobody” but I seen it coming. I had seen it October 2013. I pushed that show like no other and it took off and so did he.
With the calendar year coming to a close, what can we expect fro 2015 from The Gin?

Man we have a lot in store. Old Dominon. Adam Sanders. Dylan Scott. Canaan Smith. Chris Lane. Joey Hyde. John King. Ricky Young. And a few of the usual suspects Cole Taylor. Jon Langston, Jordan Rager, Travis Denning, Highway 55, Ray Fulcher and many many more! Make sure to follow us on twitter and instagram at @thegintifton and on Facebook at GIN TIFTON!
C O N N E C T