ARTIST INTERVIEW: FAREN RACHELS

I N T E R V I E W
F A R E N  R A C H E L S

Full Name:
Faren Rachels Jolley

Age:
26

Hometown/currently live:
Sparta, Georgia/ Nashville, Tennessee
 
What made you want to start writing/singing songs?
I’ve been obsessed with country music for as long as I can remember… seriously, obsessed. My grandparents used to record the CMAs & ACMs for me on VHS tapes when I was a little girl, and I would memorize the performances, acceptance speeches, etc. For my 10th birthday, I convinced my parents to buy me a karaoke machine, and I drove my whole family crazy with it for years, haha. Singing has always been my passion, and I really don’t know where it came from, considering no one in my family is a musician or loves it as much as I do. I didn’t start writing songs until I moved to Nashville. I quickly realized I wasn’t going to make a name for myself in this town singing cover songs, and to be honest there wasn’t a whole lot of female original material that I could relate to. Over the past couple of years I’ve really fallen in love with songwriting though, and I can’t imagine ever not doing it.

Do you play any instruments? Did you teach yourself?
I play around some on the acoustic guitar, but I’m not that great at it… so I guess you could say I’m currently teaching myself, ha.

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?
Mostly the badass women of country music in the 90’s… I grew up idolizing Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless, Sara Evans, Faith Hill, etc.

Where do you get inspiration to write your songs?
Anything & everything around me. It totally depends on the day. It’s hard to turn my songwriter brain off, so sometimes I’ll be having a conversation with a friend and I’ll have to say “Hold on, let me write down what you just said… that should be a song”.


Favorite songs you have written/recorded?
I think the one I’ve written that means the most to me is “We Got It Made”. I wrote it with my buddy, Matt Alderman, not long after we moved to Nashville. The first line of the chorus is “We got it made, even though we’re just trying to make it” & it’s basically the story of me & my husband making the move to Music City. Neither one of us had real jobs at the time so it was kind of scary. We lived in a crappy attic that had been converted into a walk-up apartment, and money was pretty tight. I guess I love the song so much, because every line of it is still real & true in my life. We might not have a lot of money or the nicest material things, but I’ve been blessed with the best, most supportive husband in the world, and I’d rather live in an attic with him than a mansion with anyone else. Cheesy, but true!
 

What moment in your music career is your favorite so far?
I think releasing my debut EP on iTunes a couple of weeks ago & getting so much awesome feedback/support has been the coolest thing for me so far. I’ve always dreamed of the day I’d have people singing along to my own lyrics. Every time I see a tweet or a Facebook status where someone is quoting my lyrics & jamming to my music, I still freak out a little.

Finish this sentence…if I could sing a song with anyone I would choose ______.
Trisha freaking Yearwood.

If I could play any venue I would choose _____.
The Grand Ole Opry. Now that we live in Nashville I try to go as often as I can. Last time we were there, we got to go backstage & stand on the stage when the curtain came up to start the show. You can just feel the history in air there, and it’s always been a goal of mine to stand on that stage & sing.

If I wasn’t a singer/songwriter I would be _____.
Marriage & family therapist. I studied child & family development in college & somehow always end up giving friends relationship advice, ha. 

I’m afraid of ____.
Pretty much everything, haha. I carry pepper spray & sometimes my gun. I watch way too many 48 hours episodes, and it’s made me a big scaredy cat.

I never get tired of _____.
Margaritas.

Okay, I always ask people to tell me one thing about themselves that is random or strange that most people don’t know!
I raced in a junior drag racing league when I was a little girl, haha. I got my own car when I was 12 years old & was actually pretty good at it!
 
 
 
 S T A Y   C  O N N E C T E D
 
 
SPECIAL THANKS TO THIS BEAUTIFUL AND TALENTED LADY FOR LENDING ME HER TIME FOR THIS INTERVIEW! BIG THINGS ARE COMING HER WAY! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HER FUTURE HOLDS!