ARTIST INTERVIEW: The Darlins



I want to start by getting to know you both a little better. Can you tell us a little about your life growing up?

Jude: I grew up in Portland, Oregon with an older brother. I am so blessed to be from such a loving and great family. My Mom was a concert pianist and I loved listening to her practice. My Dad was in finance, very hardworking also. My parents were such wonderful people and they were always encouraging me.  

Erinn: I was born and raised in Nashville, TN. My Mom was a stay at home Mom and my Dad built his own business. I am the baby of the family and was very shy. My siblings are quite a bit older than me which was great because I got a lot of advice that helped me out a lot especially as a teenager! 

At what age did you start diving into the music side of things? And how did you team up along the way?

Jude: From the time I was a little girl I always knew that music was my calling. I was always singing as a kid and picked up the guitar in junior high. After several years in L.A. performing in the music scene, I packed up and moved to Nashville. I met Erinn at a store in Nashville called SEPHORA. I knew she was a great singer and songwriter and asked her if she wanted to write together and from day one, we knew we had to be a duo. 

Erinn: My sister was 13 when I was born and I remember her practicing piano and loved sitting next to her while she played. I wanted to play piano so badly and when I turned 6, I started taking lessons. Later on, I picked up the guitar, banjo, and mandolin and fell in love with singing.  The first country song I remember loving to sing as a child was one by The Judd’s. That totally makes sense now why I love being in a duo. 

When did you take the leap and move to Nashville?

Jude: I’ve been in Nashville now about 8 years. 

Erinn: Being born and raised in Nashville, I knew early on I would remain here. I lived in Las Vegas for about a year after I graduated from Belmont University, but ultimately had to make the move back because this truly is the best town to be in for a country singer/songwriter. 

Are you also songwriters?

Jude: Yes. I absolutely love songwriting and have been writing forever. That is primarily why I moved to Nashville. I felt very welcomed in the songwriting community right away and made livelong friends like one of my favorite people and co-writers, Tony Mullins. It is so inspiring to write and connect with such creative people like him.

Erinn: Yes, I began writing songs very early on as a kid. Martina McBride’s “Safe In the Arms of Love”  by Mary Ann Kennedy and Pam Rose and Lee Ann Womack’s 
“I Hope You Dance” by Tia Sillers and Mark D. Sanders are the reasons why I wanted to be a songwriter. I am so blessed to say that I’ve actually written with both Mary Ann Kennedy and Tia Sillers. Tia and her husband Mark Selby were mentors to me. They helped me find my voice as a singer and songwriter. 

How do you prefer to go into a writing session? With ideas already in your head or with a blank slate?

Jude: I love to always be prepared. I think a guitar riff or melody, or even just a title is very good to have going in to an appointment. However, sometimes, it’s possible that just a simple conversation starts a great song. 

Erinn: Going into a songwriting appointment, I prefer to have at least an idea with some kind of melody or feel. Jude and I usually have at least part of a chorus or verse going into writes with others. 

If you all could write with anyone, who would it be?

Jude and Erinn: We said “DOLLY PARTON” at the same time!! 

Let’s talk about your music. If you could describe your sound in three words what would they be?

Jude and Erinn: Country, Rootsy, Heartfelt 

Anyone you are dying to tour with?

Jude and Erinn: Dying to tour with Eric Church. Little Big Town would be amazing, too! 

Future? New music? Videos? Touring?

Jude and Erinn: We have our first full length music video coming out this fall for our song “CRUSH” off of our new EP which dropped this past September. You can get our album in all digital stores online (iTunes, amazon, etc) and at our website www.thedarlins.com/store 
We will begin touring early next year and are looking forward to having our brand new single out by the spring. 

Afraid Of?

Jude and Erinn: Honestly, I don’t think we are afraid of anything. Well, snakes or scary bugs maybe!  Whether it’s business, relationships, or just the highs and lows of life in general, we are both very grounded and solid in our beliefs and there is really no room for fear. 

If you weren’t in the music business, what would you be doing?

Jude: Probably trying to figure out how to get in the music business! Ha! Maybe an actress. I’ve always loved acting.

Erinn: I was very involved in theater growing up and my family always thought that would be my path. However, I love movies and making music videos. That is probably what I would be doing. 

Biggest musical inspirations?

Jude: Musical inspirations I’d have to say artists like The Judd’s, Little Big Town, and Dolly Parton. In the songwriting world definitely Tony Mullins, Kostas, and Craig Wiseman. 

Erinn: I’m so inspired musically by songwriters like Leslie Satcher, Gretchen Peters, and Tia Sillers. Watching other women write their stories and share their hearts in songs that touch so many people in a very much guy driven community is awesome to say the least. 

Both Jude and Erinn: We’d like to add that our biggest inspirations are the hard working singers, songwriters, and music business people who are out there doing well and helping others. Songwriters like Clay Mills and Marty Dodson and former manager to Taylor Swift, Rick Barker, are examples of successful people devoting their time to helping artists and other songwriters grow and make sense out of this crazy music business. Giving back the knowledge that you have been blessed with is the most inspiring thing you can do. 

Any tattoos? Meaning behind them?

Jude: No tattoos for me! At least not yet! 

Erinn: Nope! 


What’s one thing that people might not know about you?

Jude and Erinn: People probably would never guess how spiritual we are. We both have a very strong relationship with God. When we are on the road, we listen to a lot of sermons!
CONNECT WITH THE BAND