ARTIST INTERVIEW: Jake Worthington


Born and raised in Texas, we talk to The Voice Runner-up Jake Worthington about life after the show, the best advice he received from coach Blake Shelton, new music, and 'red dirt' country.


So you're born and raised in Texas? What was life like growing up for you down South?
“I never grew up on a ranch or anything but I grew up on the south side of Houston. It’s right on the coast and theres just a lot of refinery work out here but I spent a lot of time east of Houston going out to the country and going to the deer lease and just hanging out.”

How did you get involved in music? Family influence?
“I guess, ever since I can remember, I’ve always just had somewhat of a pull towards music. My momma and daddy played everything from George Jones to Nelly or Kid Rock. They played all kinds of stuff. My grandpa played guitar and that’s all I could think about. So I learned the guitar and just kind of took to it, ya know?”

Did you take guitar lessons or are you self-taught?
“I started teaching myself and then eventually I took lessons for about three weeks and it honestly was just too expensive so I just did it on my own somewhat. So now, I’m self-taught.”

How did your journey on The Voice come together? Was it your idea to audition or did you get pressured to try out from someone else in your life?
“Yeah, my mom had mentioned to me like ‘hey you need to do The Voice’ and of course I’m like ‘heck no I’m not doing that!’ But one day she asked my buddies right in front of me and put me on the spot and they kind of told me I should get out there and do it so I did and it turned into a really cool thing ya know?”

You didn’t make it past blind auditions the first time you tried out for The Voice. How did that affect your thinking process and what did you do to come back stronger the next time around?
“Oh you know, not at all. After that happened I initially wanted to just go home and finish high school and work because I really didn’t ever expect to go back again and I wasn’t trying to either. I mean I went through the process. There are people out there trying to make it with children and struggling financially. You know, I felt like I had my chance and that’s it. I felt like other people deserved a shot as well. Then one day I got a call saying they wanted me back and at first I didn’t want to do that. Other people needed an opportunity, I had mine. Then I figured if they got the call then they’d go back so I did too. It’s a blessing for me and my family.”

Your coach was Blake Shelton, what was it like working with him and is there any advice he gave you that has stuck with you?
“Working with Blake was fun. We joked around a lot. The one thing I really got from him was just to be myself. At some point you have to be your own person. Be yourself and stay true to who you are and things will always work themselves out.”

So you’re a songwriter?
Yes ma’am.
What is songwriting like for you? Is it something you try and do daily or just something you pick up from time to time?
“I probably should be doing it daily, honestly. For me to write a song, it’s unique. I just started getting into the whole co-writing thing and I absolutely love it. Sometimes you have a lot to bring to the table and sometimes you can’t bring anything ya know. For me, the ideas come and go. When/if I write a song by myself it’s not like I wake up and think ‘hey, I’m gonna write a song today’. I normally will just pick up my guitar on occasion and stuff starts coming out. Then I’ll record it and listen back and pick up on what I want to change stuff.”

In October you released your debut EP. How do the songs on the EP reflect who you are as a young country artist?
“I think the songs reflect me pretty well. I co-wrote a couple tracks so those songs are all songs that represent me and those are the ones I always want to cut. Since then I’ve found better songs but really it’s just a continuous thing for me to find the right ones.”

What does the future look like for you?
“Hopefully successful! Ha!”

More new music, videos, tours?
“Yes, ma’am. We have a music video we are gonna put out soon. It’s something I’ve never done before so that’ll be cool. I guess they’ll put make-up on me and all that mess too. I’m trying to mentally prepare myself for that. But also we’re booking shows and going on a little radio tour in January. We are just gonna push the single and see what happens.”

Afraid of?
“Snakes or spiders. I cannot stand them!”

If you weren’t in the music business, what would you be doing?
“Hmm, I guess I’d be working in the refinery.”

Biggest musical inspirations?
“Anywhere from ACDC to Porter Wagner. Mark Chesnutt, George Jones, Joe Diffie…I don’t know, there’s so many.”

Being that you’re from Texas I have to ask, who’s your “favorite Texas country” artist?
“Oh, a little red dirt country huh? Hmm, well right now I’m a huge fan of Cody Johnson. He’s killin it. That guy wakes up writing and goes to sleep writing.”

What’s one thing people might not know about you?
“I like to sing Prince songs.”

Look for a full album from Jake Worthington hopefully late summer of 2016. 

Don't miss your chance to see him out on the road. 
Headed to Country Fest? So is Jake!
For tickets: http://countryfest.com